The Board of Education shall meet at least once each month and may act as a group only within the confines of a meeting that complies with the requirements of the Utah Open Meeting Law.
- The Board shall hold a Board meeting at least once each month to conduct business.
- Recessed/reconvened meetings may be held at the discretion of the Board, since any legal meeting may be recessed to a specific time and place subject to statutory notice requirements. Only items on the agenda of the meeting recessed may be acted upon at the recessed meeting.
- Special Board meetings may be called by the President or at the written request of three members of the Board at any time. Special Board meetings are meetings at which action may be taken and business conducted. The time and date of a special Board meeting may be set during a regularly convened Board meeting.
- Closed sessions shall be held as needed or requested by Board members or staff concerning permissible issues including those of (a) character, competence or health of an individual, (b) student appeals, (c) employee appeals, (d) negotiations, (e) property, (f) pending or potential litigation, or (g) security. A closed session shall appear as an agenda item and be publicly noticed as required. Rules governing closed sessions are outlined in GP112 Closed Sessions of the Board.
- Study sessions will be scheduled as needed for the Board to review and discuss pending issues. A study session shall appear as an agenda item and be publicly noticed as required. Board action may be taken during a study session. Study sessions shall be open to the public, and time may be provided for public comment if invited by the Board president.
- At its discretion or as required by state law, the Board may schedule public hearings where the Board shall receive public comment on specific topics. Minutes of public hearings shall be prepared in summary form. After official approval by the Board, summary minutes are open to the public. A verbatim transcript of the proceedings will not be prepared.
- Board members may attend and participate by electronic means in meetings of the Board in accordance with this policy and Utah Code 52-4-207.
- “Electronic means” is defined as attendance via telephone, video, or audio conferencing, or other electronic communication.
- When a Board meeting is conducted by electronic means without a quorum of the Board physically assembled, a means by which members of the public may electronically attend the meeting remotely shall be provided. An anchor location for the public to attend the Board meeting shall be provided, unless the Board President determines that an anchor location would present a substantial risk to the health or safety of those present at the anchor location.
- The electronic means used shall allow the public to hear any comments made by the Board member(s) participating by electronic means and allow the Board member(s) to hear the comments made by the public.
- A Board member participating by electronic means will be included in the recording of the Board meeting.
- Board members may attend and participate by electronic means in a Board meeting only when extenuating circumstances prevent a Board member from physically attending the meeting.
- A Board member who seeks to attend and participate by electronic means in a Board meeting shall notify the Board President at least 24 hours prior to a meeting and shall explain the extenuating circumstances that prevent the Board member from physically attending the meeting. If such notification is not possible under the circumstances, the Board member shall notify the Board President as soon as is reasonably possible of the request to attend by electronic means.
- At the commencement of the meeting, or at such time as any Board member initially joins electronically, the Board president shall identify for the record all those who are participating electronically.
- A Board meeting at which one or more Board members attend and participate by electronic means shall be open to the public, except for periods in which the Board is in closed session.
If the Board convenes in closed session, the Board member attending and participating by electronic means shall ensure confidentiality during that portion of the meeting.