The Board shall prepare an agenda for all regular and special Board meetings and ensure that copies are provided as required by the Open Meeting Law. Backup materials sufficient to allow Board members to give their prior consideration to the agenda items shall be provided to the Board members in addition to the agenda. Every Board member has the right to contribute to the agenda.
In preparing the agenda, the following procedures will be followed:
- Board members shall contact the Board Second Vice President prior to each Board meeting requesting items to be placed on the agenda.
- If a Board member wishes to place an item on the agenda, he/she will contact the Board Second Vice President not less than six days prior to Board meeting when possible. If a holiday occurs during this period, the deadline may be adjusted.
- Each agenda item should be ranked with a 1, 2, or 3: 1= place on upcoming agenda; 2= place on agenda within a month; 3= place on the agenda within three months; 4= place on agenda sometime in the future.
- Closed session items may be requested by calling the Board Second Vice President or Board President.
- The Board Second Vice President will forward potential agenda items to the Board President.
- The Cabinet will submit agenda items to the Superintendent.
- According to the posting dates of the agenda, the Board President and Superintendent will review all items submitted by the Superintendent’ s office and the Board Second Vice President for the agenda. Every attempt will be made to honor the rankings. Time and circumstances may necessitate the postponement of a requested agenda item.
- A draft agenda will be prepared and submitted in a timely manner to the Board President, First Vice President and Second Vice President for final approval.
- When at all possible, items placed on the agenda shall be referenced to a Board policy or appear on the consent agenda.
- An item will automatically be placed on the agenda for the next meeting upon written notice of three or more Board members.
- The Board will have the final say in the event of a dispute.
- The approved agenda will be distributed to Board members and posted according to Open Meeting Laws.
- Addendum usage should be as minimal as possible. Addenda will only be used when the item is operationally necessary as determined by the Superintendent. Addendum items with background reference materials will be distributed electronically to Board members prior to the meeting.