- Effective: 8/27/1969
- Revision: 7/1/2023
- Reviewed: 4/26/13
- Board Directive
The Board recognizes that all employees should be placed in the school and department that will best fit the educational needs of the students in the District. Consideration will be given to the employee's placement preference. When circumstances make it necessary to transfer employees involuntarily or reduce staff, orderly procedures are to be implemented.
- Administrative Policy
It is the policy of the Administration to assign personnel to the positions that best meet the needs of the District. Transfers shall be used to maintain a proper balance of experience and specialized competence among the schools of the District.
- Voluntary Transfers
- The Human Resources Department will identify and advertise known vacancies beginning March 1 of each school year, including those positions which were filled after Jan. 1 of the current school year (except nurses). Transfer requests will be accepted during the transfer window up through August 1st.
- All vacancies for the coming school year occurring between March 1 and June 1, shall be advertised for five working days. Teachers will make transfer requests according to the following guidelines:
- All known job vacancies, together with required endorsements and skill requirements, will be posted online.
- Teachers interested in transferring must submit a separate transfer request through Skyward Employee Access for any posted position. during the transfer window, principals will be notified weekly of transfer requests for posted positions,.
- Using a common set of criteria such as personnel files, requested qualifications, experience, etc., principals will review requests for transfer and select the candidates to be interviewed. Principals will interview at least two (2) qualified transfer candidates if available through June 1. Candidates who are interviewed but not offered a position will be notified as soon as reasonably possible. When the position has been filled, the posting will be removed.
- Beginning the week of February 1 until the teacher transfer fair, teachers interested in transferring in conjunction with the teacher transfer fair may submit a transfer request through Skyward Employee Access.
- Involuntary Transfers–Administrative
- A principal or immediate supervisor may request the transfer of an employee when in his/her judgment it will benefit the employee, the school, or the District. Transfer requests stating specific reasons for the transfer shall be made to the area Administrator of Schools. The area Administrator of Schools shall review the request and recommend approval or denial to the Administrator of Human Resources. Upon final approval of the Administrator of Human Resources, a copy of the request shall be given to the employee no later than April 1.
- An employee whose performance is unsatisfactory may not be transferred to another school unless the
local school board specifically approves the transfer of the employee. §53G-11-517
a. Unsatisfactory performance is defined as minimally effective or not effective on the employee’s
most recent evaluation.
- Involuntarily transferred teachers will be allowed to interview through the voluntary transfer process. If teachers are not successful in gaining a voluntary transfer by June 1, the District will place the employee in a position for which he/she is qualified.
- If, after the employee has been placed, the employee may continue to review through the voluntary transfer process (Refer to Section II A of this policy).
- Transfers during the school year shall be avoided.
- Voluntary Transfers