- Effective: 9/25/2012
- Revision: 4/23/2013
The Board of Education will govern lawfully on behalf of students with an emphasis on strategic leadership for the future of Jordan School District.
The Board of Education is accountable to the people of the Jordan School District for competent, conscientious, and effective accomplishments of its objectives.
- The Board is responsible for excellence in governing. The Board of Education is the initiator of policy, not merely a reactor to staff initiatives. The Board honors diverse viewpoints but does not use the expertise of individual members to substitute for the judgment of the Board, although the expertise of individual members may be used to enhance the understanding of the Board as a body.
- The Board of Education directs, controls, and inspires the organization through the careful establishment of broad written policies reflecting the Board’s values and perspectives. The Board’s major policy focus is on the intended long-term impacts outside the staff organization, not on the administrative or programmatic means of attaining those effects.
- The Board of Education accepts information, which reflects the need for improvement, as well as success in order to gain a clear understanding of the District.
- The Board of Education maintains a professional relationship with all of its advisory committees in communicating requests, receiving information, and requesting staff assistance when necessary.
- The Board of Education governs with excellence in matters such as attendance, preparation for meetings, policymaking principles, respect of roles, and ensuring the continuance of governing capability. Although the Board can change its governance process policies at any time, it will observe them scrupulously while they are in force.
- New Board member orientation shall occur between the election of new Board members and January 1 and will be delivered by the sitting Board president or designee. Refer to the Appendix “Guidelines for New Board Member Orientation.”
- The Board of Education monitors and discusses the Board’s process and performance at a regular monthly meeting. This brief assessment will include review of Board activity and adherence to policies in the Governance Process and Board/Superintendent Connection categories.
- The Board will allow no officer, individual Board member, or committee of the Board to be a reason for not fulfilling its commitments.