- Effective: 10/28/1975
- Revision: 5/24/2016
- Reviewed: 6/10/2014
- Board Directive
It is the directive of the Board to allow each employee personal leave time as indicated below and authorizes the Administration to implement policy regarding personal leave for classified employees.
- Administrative Policy
The Personal Leave Policy shall be administered in accordance with the following administrative policy provisions:
Each eligible employee of the District shall be given two (2) days per year personal leave at no cost to the employee. Employees hired after a contract year has started shall receive personal leave benefits on a prorated basis for the remainder of that year. Each employee may accumulate unused personal leave. An employee may not use more than five (5) accumulated personal leave days in any contract year.The following provisions must be followed:
- Except in unusual circumstances, prior notification must be given to the immediate supervisor at least one (1) day in advance.
- Personal leave may be taken the day before or after a school holiday for the following specific reasons:
- Observance of religious holidays which fall on a regularly scheduled work day.
- Family weddings of near relatives including children, father, mother, brothers, sisters, grandchildren, grandparents, or the same to one's spouse or any other person who is a member of the same household as the employee.
- Graduations of near relatives as defined in "2." above.
- Required court appearances.
- Deaths not covered by DP330B NEG—Bereavement Policy.
- Conferences and conventions which relate to the individual employee's work assignment and are not covered by DP339 – Released Time - Professional.
- Personal leave may be taken the day before or after a school holiday for other reasons under the following stipulations:
- Based upon a maximum of one personal day for each 100 employees, not to be less than nine(9), personal leave shall be granted the day before or after a school holiday without being required to pay the equivalent of 40 percent of the employee’s daily rate, provided the request is filed with the Human Resources Department at least 35 calendar days but not more than 45 calendar days before the holiday.
- Classified employees who request a personal leave day on the day before or after a school holiday, but who are not among the first qualified applicants shall be required to pay the equivalent of 40 percent of the employee's daily rate and apply for the leave at least five (5) working days in advance.
- On the first working day after the application deadline, numbers will be randomly generated which will identify those employees authorized to take a personal leave. Written notification will be sent to all applicants.
- Employees shall not be considered for paid personal leave the day before or after a school holiday more than once during any contract year.
- Employees who have not registered prior to the deadline will not be allowed to fill unused slots.
- Personal leave shall not be taken during the first five (5) days and last five (5) days that students are in school except under the following conditions:
- To attend the wedding of a near relative including child, father, mother, brother, sister, grandchild, grandparents or same to one’s spouse or any other person who is a member of the same household as the employee.
- To attend to personal or business matters which require the employee’s attendance and scheduling is beyond the employee’s control
- Personal leave days may not be used to pursue other employment.