- Effective: 3/22/1983
- Revision: 5/23/1995
- Reviewed: 3/26/2013
- Board Directive
It is the policy of the Board to comply with all laws and regulations governing the use of school property, facilities and equipment. Responsibility is delegated to the District Administration to develop policies and procedures that (1) prohibit private use of school property, facilities, and equipment for personal gain; and (2) restrict schools from competing with private enterprise except for the purpose of providing students with practical training in applied technology courses.
- Administrative Policy
The following administrative policy provisions shall govern the use of school and District properties, facilities and equipment:
- School property and facilities shall not be made available for use by individuals or organizations outside the school system except as specified under Policy DA151—Use of Public School Buildings and Grounds as Civic Centers, which governs non-school use of all District facilities. All use of District property and facilities for other than school purposes must be conducted through the approved rental process, in accordance with District policy and the Facility Rental Guidelines.
- School and District equipment, including computers, copiers, fax machines, and other technical equipment, shall be operated only by authorized personnel for education-related purposes.
- Copy machines may not be used for any volume work that is not school or District related. Employees may use District copy machines to make a maximum of five (5) copies for non-school use provided the copies are made outside of contract hours and paid for at the standard commercial rate.
- Employees shall not produce personal materials using school or District equipment without express authorization from the principal or immediate supervisor.
- All authorized personal use of equipment by employees shall take place outside of regular contract hours.
- Employees shall pay for any materials used at standard commercial rates.
- Equipment and materials may not be used for personal gain.
- Copying District-licensed computer programs for personal use is prohibited. (Refer to Policy DE 505—Acceptable Use of Copyrighted Materials in Jordan School District. Personal use of District-owned computer peripherals to copy computer programs is also prohibited.
- School and District equipment shall not be removed from the site where
it is inventoried unless the item was specifically purchased for use at multiple off-campus locations; i.e., portable computers.
- Use of items purchased for use in multiple off-campus locations shall be monitored by the building administrator following strict "check-out/check-in" procedures. These items shall only be used for District/school education-related purposes.
- Any transfer or loan of equipment among schools shall be authorized in advance by the Area Administrator of Schools, monitored on school inventories, and fixed asset transfer procedures followed.
- Circulation of films, videotapes, DVDs and other instructional support materials housed in the District Instructional Media Center shall be limited to Jordan District schools and other qualifying educational organizations.
- Equipment in the District Instructional Support Center shall be used solely for the production of school and District instructional support materials.