- Effective: 10/6/1970
- Revision: 2/4/2003
- Board Policy
It is the policy of the Board of Education that the principal shall work with his/her faculty and student officers to develop a wholesome environment with reference to school publications and all printed material published within the school or from any source that might be distributed in or about the school; also with reference to speech and manners of students, personnel, visitors or guests.
The Board recognizes the educational value of proper and wholesome resources in the nature of individual personalities, business and institutional publications and the many materials of local, state, and national agencies.
- Administration Policy
- The property, parking lots, sidewalks, facilities of Jordan School District and the publications of Jordan School District are a closed forum, to be managed in the best interests of the students and patrons as determined by the Jordan School District Administration and local school principals.
- School Publications and Printed Materials
The Board places the responsibility for school publications and distribution of any materials with the local school administration. Therefore, printed material of any nature shall not be distributed on the school premises without the consent of the school principal.
- Flyers, handbills, or other printed materials which are not either approved by the principal or sponsored by the District are prohibited and may not be posted or distributed on school property or placed in mail boxes that are provided for school staff.
- All publications shall be free of any adverse, lewd, wanton, or lascivious writings or pictures. There shall be no publications of a nature that would ridicule, defame, belittle, or otherwise injure the character of any individual or group.
- Jordan School District will not accept or publish public political advertising on ballot initiatives, constitutional amendments, and candidates for election. The Board may publicize its position on initiatives and other matters sponsored by the Board or having a direct bearing on the education of students in Jordan School District.
- Speech and Manners
- There shall be no display of manner or speech that would be, or tend to be, lewd, vulgar, wanton, lascivious, defamatory, or otherwise disruptive to the wholesome educational environment of the school.
- The Board of Education herein adopts the full intent of the Revised Ordinances of Salt Lake County, 1966, Chapter 28, to Title XVI, as amended, Relating to "Offenses in or About Schools, Colleges, or Universities," as it may apply to printed materials or speech and manners of all individuals that may be within or about the school premises.
- Infractions by other than students shall be reported to the proper authorities. Infractions by students may result in suspension from school.