- Board Directive
The Board recognizes that professional development activities are an important component in staff preparation and training. Therefore, the Board authorizes the District Administration to implement policy which provides released time to eligible licensed classroom teachers for the purpose of engaging in professional activities. Such activities are to be in keeping with the needs and goals of the local school or the District.
- Administrative Policy
The Administration shall administer this policy in accordance with the following administrative policy provisions:
- Employees who participate in professional activities at the request of the District will be provided release days and financial considerations as determined by the District.
- Each school shall have a quota for professional leave days which may be used during the year for authorized professional activities. The formula for each school shall be one (1) day per 4.5 full-time equivalents (FTEs).
- Time spent in professional leave activities shall not be counted as an employee absence.
- Employees serving as the president or president-elect of a professional organization may be released from assignment to attend a national convention provided the organization or individual pays all related expenses including any substitute costs incurred.
- Employees serving as the president of a professional organization may be released from assignment to attend a state convention provided the organization or individual pays all related expenses including substitute costs when appropriate. A president-elect may use two (2) personal leave days to attend a state convention provided the organization or individual pays all related expenses including substitute costs.
- Principals may use one or more professional days to cover the absence of an employee asked to attend a convention by a sponsoring organization provided attendance will benefit a school program or curriculum.
- Employees asked to attend a convention by a sponsoring organization whose absence is not covered by professional days have the following options:
- Use accumulated personal leave days with conference expenses covered by the employee or sponsoring organization.
- Take days off without pay not to exceed fifteen (15) days in three (3) years. (See policy DP337 NEG Leave of Absence (Personal 15 Days) - Licensed) All conference expenses must be covered by the employee or sponsoring organization.
- Released time for other professional duties requires prior approval by the principal or immediate supervisor and the Superintendent.
- The principal shall have responsibility for assigning the professional leave days after consideration is given to input and recommendations from the school advisory council.
- Each school must submit an annual report including the number, names and types of release time activities to its Administrator of Schools. The report will be shared with the Teacher Quality and Professional Development Committee on an annual basis.
- Professional Development Days may only be used for workshops, conferences or activities in support of a teaching assignment. Professional Development Days may not be used for activities related to extracurricular assignments.