The Board of Education must meet at least once each month and may act as a group only within the confines of a meeting that complies with the requirements of the Utah Open Meeting Law.
- The Board shall hold a regular Board meeting at least once each month to conduct business.
- Recessed/reconvened meetings may be held at the discretion of the Board, since any legal meeting may be recessed to a specific time and place. Only items on the agenda of the meeting recessed may be acted upon at the recessed meeting.
- Special Board meetings may be called by the President or at the written request of three members of the Board at any time. Special Board meetings are meetings at which action is taken and business conducted. The time and date of a special Board meeting may be set during a regularly convened Board meeting.
- An organization meeting will take place at the first meeting in January following an election year. The Board meets and organizes by electing from its members a President, Vice President, and Secretary to serve two-year terms of office as outlined in Board policy GP 104 Board Officers.
- Closed sessions shall be held as needed or requested by Board members or staff concerning issues of (a) personnel, (b) negotiations, (c) student appeals, (d) property, (e) potential litigation, (f) employee appeals or (g) security.. A closed session must appear as an agenda item and be publicly noticed as required. Rules governing closed sessions are outlined in GP112 Closed Sessions of the Board.
- Study sessions will be scheduled as needed for the Board to review and discuss pending issues. A study session must appear as an agenda item and be publicly noticed as required. Board action may be taken during a study session. Study sessions shall be open to the public, and time may be provided for public comment if invited by the Board president.
- At its discretion or as required by state law, the Board may schedule public hearings for the purpose of receiving public comment on topics of high public interest or concern. Minutes of public hearings shall be prepared in summary form. After official approval by the Board, summary minutes are open to the public. A verbatim transcript of the proceedings will not be prepared.
- The Board of Education does not conduct any meeting wherein the public business is discussed or transacted through electronic means where the members are not physically assembled. However, Board members may attend and participate by electronic means in regular, special, or study session meetings of the Board in accordance with this policy and Utah Code 52-4-207.
- “Electronic means” is defined as attendance via telephone, video, or audio conferencing, or other electronic device.
- Board members may attend and participate by electronic means in a regular or special Board meeting only when extenuating circumstances prevent a Board member from physically attending the meeting.
- A meeting at which one or more Board members attend and participate by electronic means shall be open to the public, except for periods in which the Board is in closed session.
- A quorum of the Board is required to be physically present at the meeting location for the meeting to proceed with electronic participation from Board member(s).
- The electronic means used shall allow the public to hear any comments made by the Board member(s) participating by electronic means and allow the Board member(s) to hear the comments made by the public.
- A Board member participating by electronic means will be included in the recording of the Board meeting.
- A Board member who seeks to attend and participate by electronic means in a regular or special Board meeting shall notify the Board President at least 24 hours prior to a meeting and shall explain the extenuating circumstances that prevent the Board member from physically attending the meeting. If such notification is not possible under the circumstances, the Board member shall notify the Board President as soon as is reasonably possible of the request to attend by electronic means.
- At the commencement of the meeting, or at such time as any Board member initially joins electronically, the Board president shall identify for the record all those who are participating electronically. A Board member who attends and participates in a regular or special Board meeting by electronic means shall identify for the recording the location from which he or she is participating, those present, and the extenuating circumstances that prevented the Board member from physically attending the meeting.
- If the Board convenes in closed session, the Board member attending and participating by electronic means shall ensure confidentiality during that portion of the meeting.
- A Board member may attend and participate by electronic means in a maximum of two (2) regular or special Board meetings per school calendar year. Unless otherwise approved by the Board, additional requests to attend and participate by electronic means will be denied.